Saturday, February 11, 2012

Creamy Sausage Cabbage Pumpkin Soup

It's hard not to be able to find pumpkin (more formally known as calabasa squash) here in Grenada.  It's dirt cheap, versatile, and it's nutritious.
One day, I had left over breakfast sausage, left over cabbage, left over wonton wrappers, and a bit of cream cheese in my fridge.  I decided to have a left over party in my kitchen and slapped them all together.  Out came the creamy sausage wonton....  I fried (dipped in sweet n sour sauce) several and froze some for later use.  
Another day, I made pumpkin soup.  I wondered if there was a way to jazz up this soup and I immediately thought about the wontons I had froze from a week prior.  I decided to toss some in my pumpkin soup... an idea I was forever thankful towards my brain for thinking.  The combination was so great.  The second time around making pumpkin soup (this recipe), I didn't have wonton wrappers, but I did have all of the ingredients within. I added all of the fillings of the wontons straight into the soup.  Same great taste from when I first made it.  I hope you enjoy it! It's one of my own that I'm very proud of.

Ingredients:
5 cups water
2lbs pumpkin cubed 1''
1 tsp (or to taste)
black pepper to taste
2'' sausage or 1/3 a log
1 bunch chives chopped
3 garlic cloves
1'' slice ginger grated
1/2 cabbage chopped
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
dashes of cayenne pepper (for heat)
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp sour cream + 2 tbsp cream cheese (or just 4 tbsp sour cream)

Directions
1.  Bring water, salt, black pepper, and pumpkin up to a boil.  Once boiling, turn heat down to medium high and cover.  Cook until tender (~30min) and after, mash pumpkin. After mashed, leave heat on medium low while cooking sausage.
2.  in a heated fry pan under medium high heat, add chunks of sausage. fry until golden brown.  
2.  add ginger, garlic, and chives and cook until tender ~ 5min. be careful not to burn garlic.
3.  add cabbage, cayenne pepper, chili pepper, and cumin. Cook until tender. ~ 5min
4. add cabbage mixture into pumpkin soup plus sugar. bring to a boil ~ 5-8min. or until well incorporated.
5. turn heat off and stir in cream cheese and sour cream mixture.








No comments:

Post a Comment

39th Anniversary of Grenada's Independence

2.7.13 St. George's Downtown and National Stadium Grenada, West Indies. © Katherine Fung, All rights reserved.  Grenada, The ...