Tuesday, September 13, 2011

egg and ham smothered macaroni

Today I thought about different ways in which I could prepare eggs. Scrambled, boiled, fried are ways that are used frequently in my kitchen.  Wanting to venture out, I decided to travel down a different road.  I thought about a dish I've eaten in the past at an Italian restaurant- Carbonara, a rich and flavorful dish that's simple to make.  This dish is usually comprised of fettuccine or spaghetti, eggs, cheese, and bacon.  Instead  of tossing the eggs into the pan, they're beaten on the side and cooked by the heat of the drained spaghetti. I thought I might use this dish for my inspiration since it uses eggs in fun and interesting way.  

I looked in my fridge and found similar ingredients. I decided to have myself a little fun attempting to make my own version of Carbonara.  Surprisingly, the dish turned to be one of my most favorite macaroni dishes ever.  The richness from the eggs and tangy edge from lime juice complimented each other well and were well absorbed by the macaroni. 
2 servings; 10-20min
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cooked cooled macaroni
  • 1/2 tbsp butter
  • 2 thin slices honey ham diced or torn into little pieces
  • 1/3 cup frozen peas and carrots
  • pinch of dried parsley flakes
  • juice of 1 tiny little lime ~1tbsp
  • 1 tbsp ketchup
  • pinch paprika
  • salt and pepper to taste (keep in mind that ham has salt)
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 1 tbsp mayo
  • big splash hot sauce
Directions:
1.  heat frying pan. medium high heat. add butter. add frozen peas and carrots. wait till they heat through and water has somewhat evaporated.
2. add ham, macaroni, parsley, salt, pepper, and paprika, lime juice, hot sauce, and ketchup. stir and cook for 2-4 min. until macaroni starts to absorb juices.
3. turn heat off and place pan away from heat.  immediately add egg and mayo. stir for about a min to cook egg.
4. you may top this dish with cheese but it taste just fine without it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

39th Anniversary of Grenada's Independence

2.7.13 St. George's Downtown and National Stadium Grenada, West Indies. © Katherine Fung, All rights reserved.  Grenada, The ...